But we’re reaching out to everyone in Texas interested in protecting the night sky. And, we’re holding a Breakfast Meeting!
You probably already know about the terrific, 2nd Texas Night Sky Festival® to be held on Saturday, March 18, 2017 at the Dripping Springs Ranch Park in (where else?) Dripping Springs, just west of weird (that’s Austin). It will be a great and grand festival, full of fun, and you can read all about it at www.texasnightskyfestival.org.
But, you may not know about what follows the Festival. We are gathering Dark Sky Advocates from all over Texas for a Meet and Greet BREAKFAST at 9:00 AM the morning after the Festival (that is, Sunday, March 19, 2017) at the Dripping Springs Ranch Park Event Center, the site of the Festival. It will be a great chance to network with fellow Dark Sky Advocates and learn what is going on around the State.
Bill Wren of McDonald Observatory will brief us on the fight to keep West Texas skies dark despite the oil boom. You’ll be updated on regional efforts to abate light pollution by Gary Carter of the Texas Astronomical Society; Vance Naumann, who is with the Hill Country Dark Sky Reserve; and Cliff Kaplan who will be talking about the Texas Night Sky Coalition. In addition, we’ll hear from colleagues about the Dark Sky efforts being made in San Antonio, in the Tri-Canyon area of the western Hill Country, and in other locations around the State, all of whom are seeking to keep the stars at night big and bright all over Texas. If you know of other folks who would like to share a short update on important Dark Sky-related happenings around the State, please have them contact Cindy Luongo Cassidy at email@example.com and we’ll work them in.
We’ll have breakfast tacos from a great Austin tacqueria, fresh fruit, and beverages, all for just $11.00 per person. Please reserve and pay for your breakfast in advance. We can only order enough food for the number of folks that pay for it by Sunday, March 12th, 2017. So, go ahead and reserve now. You don’t want to forget and miss out on breakfast.
- Go to http://idatexas.org/donate/;
- Scroll down to just below the neat picture of the two hands making a heart in front of the Milk Way and click on “Reserve Breakfast at the Night Sky Advocates’ Meeting, 9am, March 19, 2017.” This is where you are sent off to PayPal.
- A page will come up titled “IDA Texas Events.” The exact screen you get from there on will vary. You should see a dialogue box for you to enter the amount of your donation (remember, the Breakfast is $11/person). You can figure out how much to enter, right?
- Now this is very important, so listen up. Start looking for a very small icon followed by a note that says: “Add special instructions to the sender.” It may be on this page or you may see it later as you go through the payment process. When you see it, click on it. A dialogue box will pop up. In it type two things as follows: 1) “For Night Sky Advocates’ Breakfast” and 2) the names of the people you have just paid for to eat breakfast. Then click OK.
- Fill in the information asked for, eg., name, address, credit card #etc. or log into PayPal to pay.
- You may be asked to do a little security thing with weird letters and numbers. Then you may be sent to a final review page so you can make sure everything is fine before you click the “Send” button. But STOP before you send it! If you haven’t already filled in the “Special Instructions to the Sender,” look in the dialogue box where you entered the amount you are sending (it’s there at the top of the review page). This may be your last opportunity to enter those special instructions so that we’ll know this is for the Night Sky Advocate Breakfast and who just paid to eat.
- Note: you can either use PayPal or a credit card to do this. Which one you use and whether you have a PayPal account and who knows what else is involved in determining the exact screens you’ll fill out and where that little option to send us your “Special Instructions” will be found. We tried it with three different folks (one who has a PayPal account, one who has used credit cards with PayPal before, and one who was thrown out of PayPal when he worked in Bosnia and so, opted for the credit card route) and got three different screen flows after we clicked on the link to pay.
- If you prefer paying by check, send it to IDA Texas, P.O. Box 177, Dripping Springs, TX 78620 and note on it that it’s for the breakfast and the names of the people you are paying for. Remember, we have to receive it by March 12, 2017 so we can order the food.
No worries if you don’t want breakfast. Come join us anyway. You’ll just be a little hungry.
Be sure to forward this to any of your buddies that might be interested too!
We are really looking forward to seeing all of you and learning what is going on with the Dark Sky Community in Texas. If you have any questions about the Night Sky Advocates’ Breakfast, you can call or email Wayne Gosnell at (210) 557-6127; firstname.lastname@example.org. See you there!
We have a number of RV spots open at DSRP on March 17th & 18th. They’re $35 a night. If you want to reserve one, email Cindy Cassidy email@example.com with your details, dates, etc.